It’s all about the layers.
Wikipedia.org best describes the purpose and the how to regarding layering clothing. Some think layering is about looks, however many understand how layering can keep you cooler in the summer months and warmer in the fall and winter months.
It is important when layering your clothes to understand the fabrics to be used in each layer. The first layer should be a moisture absorbent material such as cotton, where the second layer should be looser fitting and be materials such as cotton, wool, polyester etc.
Depending on your climate and the weather, the third layers should be matched to the weather, such as a rain jacket if it is raining, a flannel or snow jacket if it is snowing, or perhaps a nice fall throw for days like now.
Layering can be viewed as messy or it can be viewed as glamorous, the difference is how you wear the layers. As stated above the first layer of clothing should be tight fitting, not only for fashion but for warmth. The second layer should be more oversized; however the tighter layer should show through, either at the shoulders, arms or bottom. The third layer should be left open, or if it is closed it should be belted, or tied to show the first and second layers.
Saving money with layering
- Utilize your summer tanks and tee’s as your first layer.
- Use “laundry oops” item as your first layer, (save that t that has the stain).
- Steal your mate’s sweater or dress shirt as the second layer.
- Swapping out just one piece of a layered outfit will create an entirely new look.
- Don’t be afraid to mix colors or patterns, thus you can finally use that shirt that matched nothing!
Have fun with layering, use it as a weapon to stay cool, warm or hide that imperfection.