On June 23, 2014 at approximately 8:00 a.m., the East Hampton Police Department began to receive multiple reports of a black bear in the area of Crescent Street, Main Street. and Hills Avenue.
East Hampton Police Officers have confirmed these sightings.
At this time there has been no active interaction with residents or domesticated animals.
The East Hampton Police Department is asking all East Hampton residents to please follow the below listed preventive steps provided by the (DEEP) Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection:
* Remove birdfeeders and bird food from late March through November.
* Eliminate food attractants by placing garbage cans inside a garage or shed. Add ammonia to trash to make it unpalatable.
* Clean and store grills away after use.
* Do not intentionally feed bears. Bears that become accustomed to finding food near your home may become "problem" bears.
* Do not leave pet food outside overnight or add meat or sweets to a compost pile.
Additional information can be found on the DEEP website: