Update 3:22 p.m.
The following is a press release from the East Hampton Police Department describing the incident in more detail:
William Landry, a 60 year old white male, who resides on Bevin Blvd in East Hampton, was arrested Monday for second-degree threatening and disorderly conduct in East Hampton.
This incident occurred at Center Elementary School at about 4:35 p.m. - after the school was closed.
Two teenaged youths alleged that while they were on school grounds after the school had closed for the day they were approached by the accused. They also alleged that the accused threatened to return to the playground with a baseball bat and that he said something about guns.
East Hampton Police Officers located Landry based on his description a short time later. During the officers’ interview with the accused, they learned he was the individual who had threatened the two teenagers. Landry did not return to the school grounds.
Officers ensured that the accused was not in possession of any firearms at the time of his arrest. There were no injuries resulting from this incident.
The accused is scheduled to appear before the court at GA9 in Middletown on Oct. 29 at 9:30 a.m.
An East Hampton man was arrested earlier this week after police allege he threatened youths at a town elementary school with a baseball bat and firearms.
On Monday, William Charles Landry, 60, of 17 Bevin Boulevard, allegedly showed up to Center Elementary School — an East Hampton school that serves fourth-and-fifth-graders — intoxicated and threatened youths there with a baseball bat and firearms, according to police.
School officials confirmed that the students who were threatened were teenagers and were not students at Center Elementary School. This incident also happened after hours when all of the Center students had already gone home, officials said.
Police were called, found Landry at his home and charged him with second-degree threatening and disorderly conduct.
Landry is scheduled to appear before the Middletown Superior Court on Tuesday, Oct. 29.
Editor's Note: We originally reported that the suspect threatened children. Specifically, the people who were threatened were teenagers that did not attend Center Elementary School.