A New York newspaper's startling revelation today that the Sandy Hook School shooter had a detailed plot for to kill prompted a quick response from the Connecticut State Police.
Lt. J. Paul Vance, the state police spokesman, called the leak "unfortunate."
The article quoted a source on specific, previously undisclosed findings of the investigation into the shooting that claimed the life of 20 first-grade students and six educators. Specifically, the source referred to a "sickeningly thorough ... spreadsheet" that the 20-year-old shooter had reportedly compiled over several years, in which he "graded" previous school shootings.
"The recent seminar during which the Newtown case was discussed was designed for law enforcement professionals only," Vance said. "Following each tragic mass murder incident in this country it is customary for law enforcement to share their lessons learned from the investigation so that other law enforcement agencies can learn."
The leak, from an unnamed veteran law enforcement official, served as the basis for an article today in the New York Daily News. The source reportedly attended the recent International Association of Police Chiefs conference, during which Connecticut State Police Col. Danny Stebbins spoke about the Dec. 14 shooting in Newtown, Conn.
Vance said state police policy asks that information not be released until victims' families have been notified.
"The families of the victims continue to be a priority in this investigation and this fact was clearly stated at the seminar," Vance said. "It is unfortunate that someone in attendance chose not to honor Colonel Stebbins' request to respect the families' right to know specifics of the investigation first."
Vance said police are not releasing any new information at this time, and that a final report on their investigation is still several months away.